Thursday 5 June 2014

The Heinous Spelling Mistake

 

I responded to an Ofsted Inspection Governor Evaluation survey this morning. The questions were quite leading in order to praise Ofsted’s inspection regime. So, I answered the questions and then added a little rant about how the framework doesn’t celebrate all the wonderful things we do outside the standard curriculum; breakfast clubs, after school clubs, adult education programmes, school council, swimming lessons, nurture groups, inter-school competitions and the list went on. But will anyone read the response? Will it contribute to anything? Who knows, but I was asked to fill in the survey so I did it.

I was a little nervous writing this morning too because I wondered whether I could actually string two coherent sentences together without some heinous spelling mistake. This week, the jazz musician Jason Rebello tweeted to tell me I had a typo on the web address of my blog. It read, ‘Dairy of a Chair of Governors’. Imagine my embarrassment! There I am, a Chair of Governors, trying my best to improve literacy across the school I help and I'd made a silly mistake on the web address of my blog... I drew a big hole and jumped in it for a couple of hours. Then, fixed the link and moved on, just.

The wider issue for me is that because I’m no longer writing longer pieces of text on a daily basis I allowed the typo to slip through. Not the best way to begin blogging but the best I can do is learn from it and double check my work. It did however, make me think about the younger generation who are increasingly using computers and mobile phones to communicate. A recent article in the Daily Mail discussed the fact that, “Pupils are losing marks in their exams because standards of handwriting are declining and emoticons are creeping into answers. Tablets and smartphones are being blamed for poor handwriting and growing use of text message shorthand including smiley, sad or winking faces.”

What will our youngsters' literacy be like in twenty five years time when they are pushing forty like me? Will this generation of mobile users be able to write legible sentences in the future or wiL it b a bit llk DIS? Only time will tell... 

:)


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2629946/Pupils-using-text-smileys-exams-Third-teachers-say-seen-symbols-written-answers.html#ixzz33nRU2RmD

Visit Jason Rebello: http://ccgi.rebello.plus.com/main/


Follow me @MichelleGrant

No comments:

Post a Comment